Music Publishing

Music Publishing

Our sister company, Phat Kat Music, has been in the Music Publishing business for over 2 decades and can assist in registering and administrating your music. Working hand in hand with EMI Publishing for many years, Phat Kat Music can facilitate, collect and distribute royalties for you and your artists, so you can focus on the business of making music.

Mechanical Royalties

It is important to note that Mechanical Royalties are deducted by a number of Download Sites and Mobile Service Providers. These are normally paid to collecting societies and can range from 6 – 10% of each track sold. So it is important to have your works registered and a music publisher collect these for you. If your music is not properly registered in all the territories of the world, you cannot receive your royalties and you stand to lose a valuable additional revue stream.


As part of our music publishing service we also make available your music for synchronization deals to be used in television programs, movies, documentaries, adverts etc.

What Is Music Publishing

Below you will find the terms and meanings of the various types of music publishing that make up the business today and why it is so important.

Mechanical Licenses And Royalties

A mechanical license refers to permissions granted to mechanically reproduce music onto some type of media (e.g., cassette tape, CD, etc.) for public distribution. The music publisher grants permission for the musical composition to be reproduced. The mechanical royalty is paid to the recording artist, songwriter, and publisher based on the number of recordings sold.

Performance Rights And Royalties

A performance-rights license allows music to be performed live or broadcast. These licenses typically come in the form of a “blanket license,” which gives the licensee the right to play a particular PRO’s entire collection in exchange for a set fee. Licenses for use of individual recordings are also available. All-talk radio stations, for example, wouldn’t have the need for a blanket license to play the PRO’s entire collection. The performance royalty is paid to the songwriter and music publisher when a song is performed live or on the radio.

Synchronization Rights and Royalties

A synchronization license is needed for a song to be reproduced onto a television program, film, video, commercial, radio, or even an 800 number phone message. It is called this because you are “synchronizing” the composition, as it is performed on the audio recording, to a film, TV commercial, or spoken voice-over. If a specific recorded version of a composition is used, you must also get permission from the record company in the form of a “master use” license. The synchronization royalty is paid to songwriters and music publishers for use of a song used as background music for a movie, TV show, or commercial.

Print Rights and Royalties

This is a royalty paid to songwriters and music publishers based on sales of printed sheet music.

Foreign Royalties

The licenses we mentioned above (mechanical, performance, synchronization, and print) are also issued for the use of copyrighted material in foreign countries. The foreign agents, or sub-publishers, are responsible for managing the licenses in their countries and paying royalties to the songwriter and publisher.

For more information on Music Publishing please visit the site below:

How Music Royalties Work

Here Are Some Of Our Published Works

Contact Us

Contact Form

Email Us

Privacy Policy

Static Plastic Logo